Friday, May 27, 2016

My experience thus far on JokaydiaGRID has been a difficult one. Being in-world is very daunting. There is so much to explore it is overwhelming. I notice that every time I log in I see new artifacts being built and progress people are making while I am just getting started. Then, when I am not in-world, I notice I am nervous because I am not caught up with everyone else. I feel like I am falling behind, like I am losing something, like I am losing a race, or losing the race to build the most stuff, or build it the best or build it the biggest. It is a strange feeling to have so much anxiety revolving around something I previously could have had absolutely no interest in.

When I log in, I feel like I am working against the clock. It seems like a waste of time to spend so much time looking around a virtual world. So I want to get in and out. However, in that time,  have to make significant progress. Inevitably, I end up spending much more time in-world than I plan and get side tracked often. I usually get captured by assignments or going back to the emporium to customize my avatar more. One feeling I notice is that no matter how much progress I make or work I get done, I never feel caught up like it is an endless, ongoing job.



These feelings are a little stressful, especially considering, as I mentioned before, that I normally would not be invested in something like this. I like games and gaming. But living in a virtual world just seems like a waste of time. Why accomplish tasks virtually when I can accomplish tasks in real life, like working out, or finishing a paper or reading a chapter? What is the point in building a cube?

That said, I realize this is all part of the learning process. And I am seeing some attraction to being able to meet people this way. Not that I am a social and outgoing friendly person, but from a networking aspect. I think this is a good way to meet people and barter knowledge and skills. I am sure I can offer something that someone may want and in turn, I can tap them with skills I posses. I do find the exercises challenging and look forward to learning more. I will check back after my next in-world experience.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mack,
    It was good to read your post and understand your anxiety of trying to get many things done. It is true...virtual worlds are not for everyone, and I certainly do not spend a lot of time in them on a regular basis. In fact, they can be very lonely if you are not outgoing. But, one of the points we want to make in the class is "how can you use it if you chose to in a classroom setting", or an virtual worlds be used as another way to bring people together to learn. Initially, they are certainly frustrating doing and learning the "ropes". Thanks for hanging in there as you continue the journey. Mike B.

    ReplyDelete